Photo Courtesy of Darwin D. Martin House Complex
Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and built between 1903 and 1905, Darwin D. Martin House Complex is considered to be one of the most important projects from Wright’s Prairie School era.
The Martin House Complex was the home of Darwin D. Martin, a businessman, his wife and family, his sister Delta and her husband George Barton. The Darwin D. Martin House is distinguished from Wright’s other prairie style houses by its unusually large size and open plan.
In addition to the main house, the complex includes the adjacent George Barton House, a conservatory, carriage house, pergola and Gardener’s Cottage. The multi-phase restoration of the Martin House Complex has been ongoing since 1996 and includes a new interpretive center designed by Toshiko Mori. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 and was named a National Historic Landmark in 1986. The Martin House interior is open for tours during the restoration, including Twilight tours and Private tours.
“A visit to this amazing architectural structure and listening to the tour guide, will take you back in time. The materials used to build the structure, the tales of the rich, success and failure, are very educational. A must see.”
—Maria B., TripAdvisor