Photo Courtesy of The First Church of Albany
The First Church of Albany was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. The church is the second oldest congregation in the state of New York, and the oldest upstate. The current church building, designed by Philip Hooker, is the fourth building and the oldest church in Albany. The pulpit was imported from the Netherlands in 1656 and is the oldest pulpit in the United States.
Shortly after construction, a memorial service was held for Alexander Hamilton. Theodore Roosevelt attended services at the church while Governor and Queen Wilhelmina visited the church during its 300th anniversary year.
Service and Food Pantry
The First Church in Albany conducts a conservative style service with a contemporary message. A bulletin is given with the entire service listed. The First Church in Albany is also home to the First Church Food Pantry, a continuation of the centuries-old custom of taking care of widows, orphans and the homeless through the Deacons Fund since the reformation in the 1500’s.
The Food Pantry serves people in the neighborhood and is managed by a Community Outreach Worker with the help of volunteers. Monthly supplies of food and other grocery store essentials, such as diapers and toothpaste, are distributed. The First Church Food Pantry also supplies information about community resources such as job training, housing, healthcare, food stamps, WIC and nutrition education. Guests are also provided with advocacy and referral services.
“Great music, preaching, outreach into the community, diversity and openness.”
—Mary B., Facebook