Amtrak COVID-19 Update
The safety of Amtrak’s customers and employees is top priority. Amtrak continues to monitor the coronavirus situation closely and is taking action based on guidance from public health experts; that includes restoring service to trains and routes once demand returns. In order to maintain a safe environment and address customer concerns and potential business impact, Amtrak is taking the following measures:
Before You Travel
If you are planning your Amtrak trip:
- Providing a vital transportation service: We are waiving change fees on all existing or new reservations made before April 30, 2020. Simply log in to your account or go to Modify Trip on Amtrak.com, or find your reservation from your account on the home screen in the Amtrak app. A fare difference may apply to your new itinerary. If you want to cancel your reservation with no fee, you must call 800-USA-RAIL and speak with an agent (not available via Amtrak.com or the app).
- Take care of yourself and keep others safe: If you are feeling ill, please stay home until feeling better.
Maintaining a Safe Environment
To reduce risk, we are:
- Enhancing cleaning protocols: We have increased the frequency of cleaning services on our trains and at our stations.
- Increasing disinfectant supplies: We have increased the quantity of sanitizers and disinfectant wipes available for customers and employees on our trains and stations.
- Reinforcing good hygiene practices: We are regularly sharing best practices with employees and customers on ways to protect against communicable diseases.
While Amtrak continues to operate, we have temporarily suspended some services due to reduced demand. See details on service impacts.
What You Can Do
To protect against all communicable diseases:
- Wash your hands: Wash hands frequently with soap and water – and for 20 seconds. If you can’t wash your hands, use hand sanitizer.
- Cover your mouth: When sneezing or coughing, use tissues and promptly dispose of them or cover your mouth with your sleeve or elbow.
We will continue to monitor and make changes to our procedures, policies and operations as necessary. We will continually update this page with any changes. For more information about the coronavirus, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.
Coronavirus Updates & Service Impacts
• Adirondack (New York – Montreal): No service north of Albany
• Empire Service (New York – Niagara Falls)
• Maple Leaf (New York – Toronto): No service west of Niagara Falls, NY
• More to follow later